Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thank you Our Best Bites

I just read this post (http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/08/introduction-to-home-canning/) and was reminded of where I long to go in my journey.  They say you can never go home again but I would like to try.  My father is an incredible gardener.  We canned vegetables every year.  We never ate anything from a box and avoided cans as much as possible.  My dad thinks cancer comes from pesticides and metal-canned food.  Most of my family growing up had a garden and canned their own food.  It was about survival.  It was about being poor.  It was about losing your land.  I come from hearty Dutch ancestry that slogged it out on muck farms in the Netherlands for centuries and then came to America to farm, pray and raise their children in peace.  My great grandfather lost his farm in South Dakota during the Dust Bowl and had to work in a factory for the rest of his life.  A vegetable garden wasn't a grand statement like the Home Farming Movement or a hippie adventure to connect with the earth it was just what you did. 

Maybe it will be what I do.  This year we are renting a house so no garden but we can stock up and can some farm picked stuff no problem.  When we get a new house?  We shall see.   

No comments:

Post a Comment