Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pablano Hatch Huevos Rancheros

This is my first food blogging post so please be kind.  My camera, well my cell phone, doesn't take fabulous shots but hey, I am trying.

We just moved to a new city and I have been wanting to check out a local Mexican market.  It all came together last Saturday and I have found the perfect spot for most of my international food needs.  The corn tortillas made in the store were incredible and the diversity of chilies available was inspiring.  They had isles of food from all over the world but they did not have my holy grail of international foods, Telma Brand canned Hummus. 




They had fresh Hatch chilies.  I have never cooked with these before but I new I would figure something out.  Below are some photos.  The hubby requested scrambled eggs and I added sliced tomato to my stacks.

That is my son in the background chewing on his hand.  So cute!


Pablano Hatch Huevos Rancheros

2 Hatch Chilies
1 Pablano Chili
4 Corn Tortillas
4 Slices Tomato
4 Eggs
Cilantro
1/2 to 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoon Flour
Salt & Pepper
1/2 White Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
A few Tablespoons of raw diced white onion

Roast the chilies over an open flame on the stove top until charred and black on all sides.  Toss them in to a zip-lock bag and seal.  While they do their thing chop your onion and garlic.  I was out of olive oil so I sprayed a pan with Pam and sauteed the garlic and onion until soft.  Then I peeled the black off the chilies, diced them and added them to the pan.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle the flour over the veggies in the pan.  Slowly add some chicken broth and stir until slightly thickened.  You can add more flour/broth if needed.  Also, before you add the flour you can toss in a pat of butter or two or a little more olive oil but I am trying to lose weight so I left it out. 

Let the sauce rest and thicken while you scramble and cook the four eggs.  Heat the tortillas in a paper towel in the microwave for a minute.  Then layer on a plate in this order:

Tortilla
Sauce
Tomato Slice
Egg

Sauce
Tortilla
Sauce
Tomato Slice
Egg
Sauce
Raw, diced onion
Cilantro

 

Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment